Posted: October 6, 2017
Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP is one of the preeminent law firms in the world, with a long-established reputation for superior legal work. For nearly 200 years, our Firm has been building a tradition of excellence by handling the most challenging assignments for the most interesting clients. Cravath has often been referred to as the quintessential United States law firm, and while our work is often international in nature, our roots have placed us alongside some of the most important events in the country’s history.
The Manager of Secretarial Services and Document Processing oversees and manages the operation of the Secretarial Services and Document Processing Services Departments and ensures that the services provided are meeting the needs of the Firm. As an integral part of the Firm’s management team, this position requires involvement and focus on employee oversight and guidance of a staff of over 200 employees spanning three shifts per day, seven days a week. The ideal candidate will be creative, enthusiastic, analytical, and highly strategic. This individual must excel in a fast-paced, dynamic, 24×7 environment and possess an exceptionally high level of personal responsibility for delivering quality service.
- Managing, directing and providing guidance to 3 Secretarial Managers, the Manager of Document Processing and department administrators in the administrative, operational and managerial functions of the departments;
- Analyzing data and making recommendations for adjustments/changes to the departments’ support models and structure to maintain optimal support to lawyers;
- Coordinating cohesive 24/7 attorney support between the Secretarial Services and Document Processing departments;
- Developing and implementing changes to department policies and procedures as needed;
- Coordinating the annual performance and salary review processes and making compensation recommendations for changes to the process when needed;
- Preparing the annual budgets and exercising cost control;
- Developing and maintaining performance measurement standards and applying those standards to the performance management of the Secretarial Services and Document Processing departments;
- Managing the professional and technical development of the department’s Managers and Supervisors, enabling them to monitor, mentor, and coach the behaviors and practices of the support staff;
- Conducting effective staff evaluations and providing regular mentorship to managerial staff;
- Maintaining a hands-on management approach with the readiness to jump in and work alongside the team as needed;
- Identifying specific training needs and coaching new and existing staff accordingly to develop technical, functional and interpersonal skills;
- Partnering with Human Resources staff on recruitment and employee relations issues; and
- Performing other duties, as assigned.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of experience managing a large support or service team, preferably within a professional services environment;
- Confident and proven ability to interact effectively with key stakeholders to build consensus around common goals;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in an integrated team environment;
- Ability to build professional working relationships with attorneys and staff members;
- Ability to present ideas clearly, both orally and in writing;
- Superior analytical skills and financial know-how;
- A demonstrated ability to understand and convey service principles;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite;
- The ability to independently manage tasks, projects and deadlines; and
- The commitment and flexibility to manage a 24×7 operation.