Posted: June 14, 2017
Cohen, Weiss and Simon LLP, a 27-attorney union-side labor and employment law firm in mid-Manhattan, is seeking an Executive Director to manage the overall operations of the Firm. The Executive Director will report to the Firm’s Management Committee and actively participate in partner and committee meetings. In addition to general responsibility for overseeing all of the Firm’s critical financial, administrative and operational functions, including accounting and financial management reporting, human resources, information technology, marketing, information management, benefits, insurance and facilities, the Executive Director will work closely with the Management Committee and the partnership to identify and plan for the changing needs of the Firm, share responsibility for strategic planning, practice management and marketing, and contribute to cost-effective management throughout the Firm. The Executive Director will also help set the tone for the overall culture and atmosphere of the Firm.
- Financial Management: With support from the Firm’s Controller, ultimately responsible for preparation of income and expense budgets; financial plans; forecasts of capital expenditures; and cash flow. Analyzes financial data and metrics with respect to profitability and works with the Firm’s Management Committee in to setting financial objectives.
- Human Resources Management: Including recruiting, selection, training, performance evaluation, salary administration, employee relations, disciplining, developing and implementing Firm policies and procedures, benefits administration, workers’ compensation administration, event planning, and other human resource management functions for the legal, paralegal and support staff.
- Operations Management: Including strategic planning, business development, risk management, quality control, organizational development, vendor oversight and management, insurance and other general management functions.
- Practice Management: Including lawyer recruiting and training, paralegal and law clerk supervision, business meeting preparation, travel arrangements, and other practice management functions.
- Marketing and Business Development: Including development and implementation of strategic plans, forecasting of business opportunities, planning client development, monitoring the financial results of initiatives for expansion, marketing legal services, and managing and improving the Ffirm’s website, blog and social media presence.
- Systems Management: Including managing the Firm’s IT Director and having overall responsibility for systems analysis, operational audits, cost/benefit analysis, security and risk assessments, computer systems design, programming and systems development, information services, records management, library management, litigation support, and legal practice systems.
- Facilities Management: Including management of the Firm’s lease, space planning and design, purchasing, inventory control, records storage, telecommunications, and other facilities management functions.
- We seek a candidate with proven management experience and skills, who is well organized and possesses an excellent understanding of human resources management, strong interpersonal skills, exceptional verbal and written communication skills, initiative, problem solving and analytical skills, ability to identify and resolve issues, and leadership and negotiation skills. The successful candidate will have excellent teambuilding skills and willingness to be visible and serve as a role model. The candidate will also have a strong work ethic with an emphasis on ownership of high quality standards and productivity. Conflict resolution/mediation skills, the ability to motivate staff and the partnership, to timely perform and manage multiple projects concurrently, and to assign and manage projects are essential in this role. The candidate should have the ability to multi-task, think strategically, and align the Firm’s operations with the Firm’s goals and strategies. Prior experience serving as the principal administrator or operating officer of a law firm is desirable.
The compensation package will be commensurate with the position and responsibilities.
The following attributes are also expected in the successful candidate:
- Knowledge: Has knowledge of legal or other professional service organizations, and experience managing business operations such as human resources, technology, facilities, finance and marketing.
- Skills and Abilities: Can proactively identify and analyze complex issues and problems in management areas, and recommend and implement solutions. Can manage office functions economically and efficiently, organize work, establish priorities and maintain good interpersonal relations and communications with lawyers and support staff. Displays excellent supervisory and leadership skills. Demonstrates willingness and ability to delegate.
- Education: Degree from a recognized college or university with major course work in business administration or management, finance, human resources, technology or marketing, or comparable work experience.
Please email your resume, along with salary requirements, to EXECDIR@CWSNY.COM. We are an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. For more information about our firm, please visit www.cwsny.com.
Back to Jobs Archive